7.29.2010

Just shut up and listen...

Do you ever notice that we talk ALOT. Think about it. I saw some friends from high school the other day. I didn't shut up the entire time. It was so exciting to see them, but it actually hit me while standing there that I was talking ALOT! Same goes for when I'm at work. We often just talk to fill the silence. We say things that mean nothing and often the things we say are just noise. What if we just listened. What would we learn?

I did this listening thing last night and I learned so much. I learned that I have this amazing opportunity to reach out and do something for someone who has done so much for me. I learned that God loves me through my pain, my sin, my brokenness. I learned that I am never too messed up. I learned that I can make mistakes and still declare victory.

There's this song we sing at church and it really hit me last night as I have dealt with a lot of growing pains this summer. It goes:

For His returning we watch and we pray
We will be ready at the dawn of that day
We'll join in singing with all the redeemed
For Satan is vanquished and Jesus is King

What I learned here I that through all my brokenness and all my sin I can still declare my victory that I am redeemed. Now I know a lot of you who read this are not tracking with me on this theology stuff, but this transfers into life no matter where you are. 

Life might suck right now for you and struggling might be a huge reality, but I am sure there is something that you can declare as victory in your life. I hope you take some time today to stop complaining and start realizing that there is an opportunity to appreciate that victory. 

I did this last night. For the last ten months I have been whining about having to transfer to a new college. Then I realized that God made it this amazing opportunity to start over and really take a chance to draw near to Him. He worked everything out in a way that made things so much easier and I could never ask for anything more.

Last night someone asked me what I am doing next year, and when I answered them I did with an attitude of gratefulness because I was so thankful for how God worked things out. Ever since a lot of other stuff (related to school and not) have worked themselves out too. It all seems like coincidence, but I think it has to do with this whole stopping, listening, and changing my attitude. 

With an attitude change more good things will come and all of sudden happiness might just sneak up on you. It's kinda crazy how life works itself out. :)

SLD


No comments:

Post a Comment