Today I attempted to be a better cook than I am. It's funny because most of the time when I make something for the first time I have no idea if the end product is going to be good. But I never apologize and I never try to feel sorry for myself if I fail. There's something about cooking that always seems measurable beyond good and bad.
With the dessert I made today the crust rocked, but the filling severely lacked. While I don't know what I did or how I messed it up, I learned that the crust is a great recipe and that I can continue to work on my skills with that, but maybe a different filling would be better.
There were good and bad in the same product. It's not all measurable by one standard. Imagine that. I'm going to try it again this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Until I figure it out feel free to take Italian pastry advice from Giada de Laurentis. One day I will be in her shoes. Sort of...
I have always wanted to open my own place. A cafe that serves people good food, pastries, coffee, and tea. Then I would invite the homeless to come and eat after closing. I'd stay open for them until I run out of food. It creates less waste and it impacts a small part of the world.
Cooking with a purpose...now that's better than Giada's fake smile for sure. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment